Looking to learn some things about foundation? Whether you’re a makeup newbie or an all-out addict, it’s always good to know about the product you’re working with. Having some knowledge about foundation can mean the difference between oompa loompa or flawless face.
Believe me, I’ve had my share of foundation struggles. I wore ones that wore off my skin quickly, looked much too dark on me, and made my skin look worse than better. Here are 15 tips and tricks to help you apply foundation flawlessly, choose the right ones for your skin type, and more.
15 Foundation Tips & Tricks
- For oily skin, choose a foundation with an oil-free formula and a matte finish or try a powder foundation.
- For dry skin, look for cream or liquid foundations that are moisturizing and hydrating (like this one).
- Apply foundation with a damp beautyblender (or other egg-shaped sponge) for a flawless, natural application.
- Foundations can provide different coverages, from light to full. Most can be built up in layers to give more coverage.
- Wearing a primer under foundation will help it last longer and make for a smoother canvas to work with.
- Match foundation color to your neck or jawline for the closest match, not your hand.
- If applying foundation with a brush, use downward strokes for a smoother look.
- If you want to try a high-end foundation, get color matched and ask for a sample. You’ll usually get at least a few days worth to test.
- Apply concealer after foundation for the best coverage for imperfections and blemishes.
- Don’t forget to blend your foundation into your hairline, ears, jawline, and neck if needed.
- Using a stippling brush to apply foundation can create a beautiful flawless finish.
- Swipe foundation over your lips so that lipstick will show up more vibrant and true to color.
- Apply your highlight before foundation for a lit-from-within, subtle glow.
- You might need to change foundation colors when seasons change. The color you wear in Summer might not be the same one you wear in Winter!
- When color matching, the color that disappears on your skin is your match.
Get this list as a printable along with other freebies!
Want to get a printable version of this list and other free things (DIYs, printables, etc)? Sign up for our FREE resource library. Click the image below to gain access.
Read these next:
Join the discussion
Did this help you? Do you have any foundation tips to add to this list?
Please share! Comment below to discuss with us!
Latest posts by Ashley (see all)
- 6 Personal Care Items I Keep in My Bag to Survive a Winter Work Day - December 15, 2017
- DIY Lemon Raspberry Body Scrub - August 7, 2017
- Income Report: June 2017 + Tips on Monetizing - July 27, 2017